Monday, October 11, 2010

Quinoa

What?? I don't even know how to pronounce that word. That is what you're thinking. Or at least that's what I'm betting you're thinking. Let me help: keen-wah. Looks like this:

Except super small. It's a grain grown in South America that my fantastic cousin Kaylie first mentioned to me before she left for Africa. I kinda thought, oh I guess I'll cook it sometime when I have time...and we all know how well that goes.

But I kinda thought I should give it a shot, and I spent a long time googling before I figured out how to spell it. Anyway. You don't care about all this. Let's fast forward: a woman at work gives me a box and I google 'quinoa recipes' and make a nice mexican-style quinoa dish for my lunch two weeks ago. And it's good! I like this stuff. It has a nutty, grainy texture, and goes well with alot of flavors. Here's the important part: quinoa is high in complete protein, which apparently means it contains all 9 amino acids. (Good for me and others who don't eat meat.) It's also gluten free, which doesn't matter as much to me, but definitely matters to people with Coeliac's disease (don't worry; I had to search that spelling too).

So today is week 2 of cooking quinoa, and I went off of a fruit recipe. I love cinnamon! And spending a year without apples has made me appreciate them more. It looks yummy, and with the walnuts I think it will be very filling.

If you're up for a little adventure, or just something different in your diet, I recommend giving this a shot! I found it in the organic section of Martin's near couscous and similar products. It's admittedly a little expensive ($4.29 for this 12 oz box), but I think it's worth it. If you're buying and eating white rice, I won't even begin to tell you how lacking it is in nutrients. The same goes for regular pasta. (Now whole-grain pasta is a different story. Especially if it's Nature's Promise.) So hopefully you're all cooking wild rice and/or spending 4 hours using your pasta machine with local eggs and whole grain flour to whip up your own pasta. But if you're not, you should give this a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment