Monday, October 4, 2010

Physical Therapy

Well friends, this week marks the third week of another new thing...physical therapy. For those who may not know, on Labor Day a drunken little tiny tot (ok, so she wasn't totally drunk and she wasn't THAT young, but still) smashed her car into mine. There were many results of this, not limited to my anger and then sheer rage when her friend asked me if *I* was drinking and driving, but the main one I want to discuss briefly is my neck.

I have always had tension in my neck/shoulders, but the hearty slam to the back of my Civic didn't help. The orthopedist signed a little note recommending 12 sessions of physical therapy, so I guess after Wednesday I'll be halfway done.

I'm sure physical therapy is quite rough and painful if you have some sort of serious injury like, say, a torn ACL. And there are painful days. But for the most part, it's wonderful. I get to spend an hour working on the muscles in my shoulder and having people velcro warm towels around my neck. Today my therapist did something called ETPS, and I have no idea what it stands for. (When I wikipedia'd it, it went to Empire Test Pilot's School, and that's definitely not right.) The long and short of it is that he took two little things that looked almost like glue guns, and shocked my muscles with little electric zaps. And it was great! I think it helped my neck a little.

It's also a great place to people watch. Mostly old(er) people, but sometimes there are kids with sports injuries. It's pretty fascinating. I feel like I could definitely fake PT knowledge if I needed to, a la Catch Me If You Can. Don't worry; I have no interest in attempting this or testing my hypothesis.

Well, I have a warm shower and a bed waiting for me. Note to self: need to blog more. Otherwise I'll lose my 1.5 readers. (Hi Mom!)

Good night everyone! If you're ever in a car accident, get checked out right away! Make sure you Personal Injury Protection (PIP) is secure.

1 comment:

  1. Ah! ETPS...Electro Therapeutic Point Stimulation. Good stuff. Glad you're on the road to recovery!

    ReplyDelete