Monday, April 30, 2012

DIY: Cool Cubes!

Ok, so you may start seeing some more DIY posts...I've been working on some things! I'm super excited about this one. 


So at the beginning of the school year, I used some of my "teacher funds" to buy these:


They're pretty awesome...four cubes with dry erase surfaces. They're great for the classroom! Unfortunately, they also belong to my school. Since I won't be there next year, I won't have access to them. Also sometimes I find myself wanting a few more cubes. I looked at them one day and thought to myself..."Hey, those are literally just colorful foam squares with white surfaces on them...pretty sure I can do that." And thus began the wheels in my head.


First, I needed something light. With my kids, I couldn't use something like wooden blocks or even heavy plastic...someone would get hurt. The solution? The new computer printer. Finally the school got a new color printer that doesn't print streaks! Better yet, the printer came packed in Styrofoam:



Using my pocket knife and scissors, I hacked 6 cubes out of the various pieces, 2 small, 2 medium, 2 large. Then I dug out some scraps of brightly colored fabric and covered them, using my handy glue gun to secure them. 


I cut some squares of card stock and sent them through the laminator. (Laminated papers double as dry erase surfaces!) 


Using the glue gun again, I affixed the card stock squares to each of the cubes. The end results:


Im super excited! I didn't pay a cent for these guys. Ironically, I grabbed a bag to put them in, and it happened to be a Cheesecake Factory bag. 

Crazy?? The colors match! Anyway, these are great to use in the classroom, and now I have a set of 6!

No comments:

Post a Comment