Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Day burgers!

Labor Day is for picnics, no? What's a vegetarian-ish to do? (I added the -ish because I've been smelling the barbecue ALL WEEKEND and I have been utterly tempted.) Well, you see, you make black bean burgers! I got this recipe from ReadyMade, one of my FAVORITE magazines. I had to alter it a little because I didn't have all the ingredients. They turned out really well!


Yield: 4 burgers

2 (14-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
3 tablespoons plain yogurt
1/3 cup plain dry bread crumbs
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
generous pinch of salt
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
1 lime
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 soft hamburger buns

Accompaniments: sliced avocado, romaine, salsa, sliced sharp cheddar

Pulse 1 can beans in a food processor with yogurt, bread crumbs, cumin, oregano, cayenne, paprika and salt until a coarse purée forms. Transfer to a bowl and stir in cilantro and remaining can beans. Add as much juice from the lime as needed to create a mixture that holds together well (you likely won’t need the entire lime; slice the leftover lime into wedges and serve with the burgers). Form mixture into 4 patties.

Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers (alternatively, heat a grill pan and brush it with the oil). Cook burgers until outsides are crisp and lightly browned, turning once, about 5 minutes total. Serve on buns, along with the accompaniments.

Tomorrow is the first day of school...and school! I have the elementary/middle school classes in the morning, and my graduate class in the evening. Wish me luck and pray HARD!

No comments:

Post a Comment